You know that Harvard study? I talk about it on my yoga retreats a lot...
In 1979, Harvard MBA conducted a study on goal setting, asking the graduating class a single question about their goals in life. The question was this:
Have you set written goals and created a plan?
Prior to graduation, it was determined that:
84% of the entire class had set no goals at all
13% of the class had set written goals but had no concrete plans
3% of the class had both written goals and concrete plans
10 years later, the 13% of the class that had set written goals but had not created plans, were making twice as much money as the 84% of the class that had set no goals at all.
However, the apparent kicker is that the 3% of the class that had both written goals and a plan, were making ten times as much as the rest of the 97% of the class.
Putting a pen to paper is POTENT.
So my question for you is, WHAT DO YOU REALLY WANT?
Oh wait, let me be clear. Let me clear that this isn't about the what the ego wants, it is about what your soul wants. When you decipher the difference, you almost hear a "click" as if you just plugged into your own self.
We don't need to be or do anything remarkable or extraordinary (that's cue for: kick the self-inflicted pressure to the curb). We just need to pay attention to ourselves. Our alignment. Our values. Our heart. What we truly want.
And make it very clear that what you want is what YOU want. Not what your partner wants. Not what society says you "should" want. Not what your boss wants. Not what your parents want. You get my point.
The ego usually wants some sort of recognition or fame or money or big house. I get it. My "want" lists have included such things. However, as I am [forced] to surrender (literally, I've been staring at the sky for weeks because I have no other choice with my health right now), I've been able to really note the difference between our ego and our hearts. My ego has been screaming at me -- you're lazy! It's time you get healthy! Do something!
I literally had to wave my white flag. I fought my pain and my lyme disease symptoms for so long and now I've finally stopped fighting. I've let them be. Quit the resistance. And I can slowly feel the healing and see the light. Not so easy for a go-getter kind of girl. To me, surrender was something to be avoided by anyone who has ambition.
Yet I've learned, surrender will eventually choose you, when you ignore all of the signs and symptoms. I stuck my tongue out at it for a while, but now I am simply grateful that I am in this space for so many reasons.
I've come to admit that a lot of things I write down that I "want" are ego driven. I had to really get clear and be silent and peel back the layers to what was REALLY underneath those things I wanted.
Desiring my trainings and events to always be full is a great goal, but my heart translates it as this: I desire to be a positive catalyst; a spark-plug for others.
Desiring more money (don't we all) was translated as: I want more opportunities for leadership and creative expression.
Those are just a few examples, but can you see the shift? I can actually FEEL the shift. My goals now feel differently to me and I'm feeling inspired in such an authentic way! With my inspiration, I'm able to carry out better concrete plans and stay disciplined.
Usually what the ego wants will come to you anyway as a bi-product of focusing on alignment centered goals.
I've realized that problems give meaning to a life without purpose. What do you think?
You know, when we are in that space of making a big deal out of the fact that our dishwasher is broken, that he said this and she said that....
Sure those are very real things that involves personal emotions, but when you stay focused on your alignment, your purpose, you have a different focus. In fact, you begin to see your entire world as a playground and every so-called problem is part of the game, where losing a job (for example) is no more serious than spilling your coffee. Yea... chew on that one.
When you start making an effort to talk in alignment with what you truly value and want, it's way more fun. Ideas flow from talking this way (and it also take mental discipline). More connections grow out of talking about it, also. Purpose.begins.to.show.up. HELL YES!
When you get on your purpose, you get off your problems.
Are you in?
The action steps are simple:
>Take the time and space to breathe, listen and observe YOU.
>Write what comes up.
>Re-read what you wrote and start to dissect it.
>Rewrite until you hear that "click".